After two weeks' struggle, I have successfully installed Gentoo, a popular GNU/Linux Distribution. For Records, the obstacles I encountered are listed below.
(but I can not remember the solution exactly)
0. failed to emerge gpm when I install the links package.
If I recall correctly, it is resolved by install gpm manually
1. I encounter issue when I install glib 2.22.5.
which is in dev-util/desktop-file-utils. When I try to emerge it, there is a circular dependency on glib. no solution
and I forget How I resolve the problem.
2. later after I install glib, with ~amd64 keyword I can install gpm-1.20.6, but it conflicts with the manually inatalled gpm.
I remove the conflicted file and emerge successfully.
3. Failed to emerge tiff.
edit packages.keywords to add the following.
I am able to use latest tiff in beta-version, which is unstable and masked out.
4. later atk-1.28.0 failed to emerge.
edit /etc/make.conf with the following.
then emerge successfully with only some complain. with out this seting. the warining from GCC will cause that emerge fail.
5. when I run
emerge --update system
actually gcc will be upgraded from 4.3.4 to 4.4.3. but it failed because of compilation warning, again. add "-stricter" into Features variable in /etc/make.conf work around it.
6. The installation takes a long time, the KDE itself take more than 10 hours. There is still a lot of improvement space! Anyway, it is nice to be able to use it daily.